Here's my rationale for this decision:
- They're fantastic sculpts by the great Tom Meier - one of the finest sculptors ever. Check out his beautiful work at his own site Thunderbolt Mountain.
- They have the blessing of GRRM, which is a helpful visual indicator. For example Rob is in mostly chainmail, small bascinet with camail, surcoat and fur cloak. That gives me plenty of visual themes to build on through the Stark forces. Jaime, by contrast, is in ful plate harness reflecting the relative wealth of Lannister and justifying my choice of mid-15th century miniatures for the wealthier houses.
- They're on their own 40mm bases and as such, their scale won't stand out as much.
- They're heroes in their own right, and can be "larger than life"
- If the scale difference really annoys me after it's all put together. I can replace them.